Breville Espresso Machine Cleaning 2022 – Ultimate & Excellent Guide
Having a Breville Espresso Machine allows you to have coffee 24/7, giving you the energy boost you need! But of course, you need to learn how to clean and maintain it well to ensure your unit will provide quality coffee for years to come. Take note though, Breville Espresso Machine cleaning is no walk in the park!
Sure, there are espresso cleaning tablets and kits you can use, but how exactly do you use them?
If you want to learn all about cleaning your unit’s baskets and other parts, as well as the different ways how to, read on! I created the ultimate guide to cleaning your Breville Coffee Machine to help you out.
The Importance of Cleaning My Espresso Machine
Breville products are one of the top units that offer that much-needed kick! They are known for their strong construction and excellent performance when brewing espresso. With that said, why do we need to clean it regularly and does it need to take that much effort?
YES, it does! You need to make sure to clean your Breville Espresso Machine regularly because:
Breville Espresso Machine Cleaning Guide – The Different Ways to Clean Your Breville
You must clean your unit at appropriate times. Here is the general cleaning guide to ensure that your Breville espresso machine is free from any dirt and grime. We are going to explain all the methods for cleaning espresso machine Breville that you can follow.
This should be cleaned at least thrice a week, depending on the frequency you use your machine.
Check out this how-to clean Breville products video for more visual instructions:
Breville Espresso Machine Cleaning Tablets
This is an easy way to clean your unit, as Breville cleaning tablets are made to remove any residue and coffee oils. Follow these steps when using coffee machine cleaning tablets Breville:
Besides using espresso cleaning tablets, you can also use vinegar to clean out your unit, which is a great way to deep clean it. Follow these steps:
Breville Coffee Machine Cleaning Kit
If you want something a bit easier and with all cleaning products included (like the tablet), there is a Breville Barista Express Cleaning Kit available. These kits include espresso cleaning tablets packet, water filters, as well as filters, brushes, and small cleaning tools required.
These are also easy to use, as there are manufacturer’s instructions included. These kits come exclusively from the Breville cleaner shops, so you have a kit designed for your specific unit model. I love these kits because you are assured quality espresso cleaning tablets and tools from Breville themselves!
If you want to learn more about the various cleaning methods, here is a “how do you clean a Breville espresso” video to help you further:
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that you know the different ways of cleaning your unit and how to do so, are there more things to learn about the process? Here is the frequency asked questions readers and users have wondered about:
How often should I clean my Breville espresso machines?
To descale or decalcifying your unit is one of the most crucial parts of cleaning operations. Because of its importance, you need to do this about ice a month. Descaling Breville coffee machine will prevent any mineral deposits from building into your unit internally.
This is because such build-ups can clog your unit, which causes water to no longer flow from your group head, along with its steam wand and hot water spout. And the longer your water sits inside the unit, the more minerals will build up.
Furthermore, such build-ups cause heat to stop transferring, which makes it colder than normal, causing a lack of flavoring in your espresso shots. It also clogs your pump, particularly when you don’t use your unit often.
So make sure you stick to decalcifying or descaling your product once a month or so, never less.
As for general cleaning of your Breville product, I highly recommend that you do so weekly, or after every 200 shots of coffee, whichever comes first. You can use whatever method you prefer when cleaning, whether vinegar or espresso cleaning tablets.
How often should I backflush my espresso machines?
The frequency of backlashing your espresso machine depends on how often you use it. In general, you will need to backflush your Breville product daily, or after every use. This is to prevent any serious limescale buildup and ensures that you have quality espresso.
What happens if you don’t descale your coffee machine?
Descaling is a metal cleaning process, which would remove any limescale buildup. That’s the hard and off-white chalky deposit which negatively affects the operating of some of your unit’s parts.
If you don’t descale your espresso machine, then chances are it will affect your espresso quality. Not only that, but it will also force your unit to work harder, which then increases electricity consumption.
This heightens your energy bills AND may cause units to malfunction, which shortens your unit’s lifespan as well.
With proper descaling, you’re able to ensure that your unit will work well and produce the high-quality espresso you expect from a Breville. Just make sure that you do it properly and that you also follow it up with espresso cleaning tablets for a fully functional unit.
How do you unclog an espresso filter?
It’s important to unclog your filter (or shower screen) to ensure that quality coffee comes out. Unclog your Breville product by following these steps:
1. Open your filter holder, emptying any grounds of it. Lift the filter basket, taking it out and rinsing it thoroughly. Place it back in the espresso machine.
2. Loosen the screw which holds your steam valve in place, pulling it down to remove its sleeve. Remove the sleeve and watch it with warm and soapy water, using a cleaning sponge to wash off any debris. Rinse and dry with a clean towel.
3. Fill a cup with water, immersing the steam wand in the brother. Set the option to STEAM and allow the water to froth for a few seconds. If it doesn’t steam, switch off the steam selector, using a straight pin to get rid of any dried milk.
4. Remove the waste unit from the unit, holding down the new unit handle. Press down its release button, pulling the unit out and clean it using warm water and sponge. Clean the permanent filter/shower screen using a damp sponge, getting rid of any coffee grounds.
5. Dry all the parts then place the funnel and brew unit back in the original position and you’re done!
How do you reset a Breville espresso machine?
You can reset your Breville product by setting the unit on STANDBY and unplug it from the electrical outlet, plugging it back in after a few minutes.
You can also reset its default settings by holding the PROGRAM button, waiting until it beeps three times. Release the button and it will go back to its original default settings.
How do you change a Breville water filter?
A water filter (also known as shower screen) can help prevent scale build-up on various inner functioning parts. You will need to replace the water filter every two months, which reduces the need for you to decalcify your Breville product.
However, if you have hard water, you need to change your water filter more. To replace your water filter, simply remove and discard your old water filter from the machine’s filter holder. Afterward, get your new water filter and follow these steps:
1. Soak your water filter in a cup of clean water for five minutes. Rinse it under cool running water.
2. Wash your water filter holder using cold water, taking care to rinse its stainless steel mesh.
3. Place the new water filter in the two parts of your water filter holder.
4. Set the date dial to two months ahead to signify when you need to replace it again.
5. Install your now-assembled water filter in the water tank or baskets, and align its base of your filter holder, using the adapter in the water tank. Push it down to secure it in place.
6. Slide your product’s water tank back to the position at the back. Make sure you push it down completely again, locking it in place.
How do you drain a Breville espresso machine?
Before draining your Breville product, make sure that the unit is heated and at its normal steaming temperature. Follow these steps:
1. Plug your unit, bringing it to the normal brewing temperature. Place a container under the steam wand and then open the steam valve.
2. As the unit is steaming, remove its water reservoir and allow it to pour out steam and water. Once nothing pours out anymore, close its steam valve.
3. Switch off the steam button and power switch. Your unit has now been drained and can be kept for storage or transport.
How do you descale a Breville coffee maker?
Follow these steps to properly descale your Breville product. This is a similar process to deep cleaning, as I mentioned above. Take note that your water tank or baskets should NEVER be completely emptied or removed during the process:
1. Remove your portafilter and pour a 1:1 mature of white vinegar, lemon juice, or citric acid with cold water to your water tank. You can also use a commercially-produced descaled, whichever works best for your machine. I’ll be showing you the steps when using a descaler product.
2. Place a container under the steam want and group head, then switch on your espresso machine. Once the brewing temperature reaches the optimum level, press the 1 CUP button, which will begin a manual pour.
3. When half the tank is poured out, then release the button. Empty your container right after.
4. Set the dial to HOT WATER, allowing the rest of the mixture to flow for half a minute. Set to STANDBY option right after, then let it STEAM. Allow it to run through your steam wand for up to two minutes.
5. After two minutes, turn to STANDBY mode again and repeat the process if you have hard water. If done, remove your water tank, rinsing it with fresh and clean water well.
6. Refill the water tank using fresh water, replacing it in your machine and following the steps again. This will then flush any descaling solution left over.
Why does my Breville “clean my light” or “clean descale light” stay on?
Your clean me light or descale light switches on when it’s time for you to clean your espresso machine. However, it sometimes switches on even right after cleaning or without even using the product yet.
Fortunately, it’s fixable and may be due to certain reasons. It may stay on because the process wasn’t properly engaged, or some parts weren’t secured after cleaning. Or, one of your espresso cleaning tablets wasn’t dissolved properly!
Make sure that the reservoir is filled with water and that it has been drained properly before doing so. If the light stays on, you can reset your product and see if that works. Check your reservoir and areas where espresso cleaning tablets or other residue may be stuck in the unit.
If the problem persists, you may want to contact Breville to see if your unit has a problem even after cleaning and resetting it.
Wrapping It Up
There are many ways you can clean your Breville product properly, from natural ingredients to cleaning kits. Whatever method you choose, make sure that you follow the right steps and do it regularly, according to what’s recommended. When doing so, you can enjoy a lot of espressos and get your money’s worth from Breville!
I hope that my guide to cleaning your Breville Espresso Machine helped you out! So don’t wait any longer and begin cleaning your product the right way NOW, whether with espresso cleaning tablets, vinegar, or other Breville cleaning products!
Do you have any questions or want to share your tips and experiences on cleaning your Breville product? Share it in the comments section below, all your thoughts are much appreciated!